Exciting new events and the return of crowd-pleasing favourites are expected to attract more than 100,000 people to Tamworth during 2013.
The arts and events team has unveiled a packed programme of outdoor events for 2013, which includes the return of favourites including the St George’s Day celebrations, the Heritage Event, Fireworks Night and the Christmas Lights Switch-On, alongside new showpiece spectaculars.
New to the programme for the summer is the We Love Tamworth event. This will be held over the weekend of August 10 and 11 and will feature a number of outdoor cinema screenings in the Castle Grounds, as well as a children’s festival featuring art and craft, music and fun activities.
In 2012, more than 92,500 visitors took part in or attended outdoor events in Tamworth, and spent £1.3 million in the local economy. The highlights of last year’s calendar were:
- St George’s Day, which attracted 8,500
- Olympic Festival – More than 40,000 people welcomed the Olympic Torch to Tamworth. The Festival involved more than 90 sports and community groups and received national publicity
- Heritage Weekend – 8,500 visitors across the two days
- Stars and Stripes line dancing event – 4,500 participants and spectators • Fireworks – 20,000 visitors
- Christmas lights switch-on – 8,000 visitors
In addition, there were more than 30 street parties to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee with party packs supplied by Tamworth Borough Council.
99% of the people who went along to events throughout the year who completed a survey said they would recommend the events and 99% rated the events programme as good to excellent.
Now the arts and events team is gearing up for an even bigger 2013, with more visitors expected to flock to this year’s events.
The events programme for 2013, sponsored by Ankerside, includes:
- St George’s Day Extravaganza – Saturday April 20
- Gate Gallop – Sunday June 30
- We Love Tamworth Summer Event – Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 August
- Bandstand Concerts – Every Saturday and Sunday from July 6 to August 25
- Stars & Stripes line dance in Castle Grounds to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support – Saturday September 14
- Heritage Event – Sunday September 15
- Tamworth 10K race, starting and finishing in the Castle Grounds – Sunday October 13
- Fireworks Spectacular – Saturday November 2
- Christmas Lights Switch-On – Saturday November 16
- Pudding Plod and Rudolph Run – Sunday December 1
The arts and events team is also on hand to help and support groups and organisations, which want to run any kind of event in the borough, but do not know how. The team can guide organisers through the process and support them to find funding. They can be contacted on 01827 709314 or by email on TARoutdoorevents@tamworth.gov.uk.
Cllr Steve Claymore, Cabinet member for Economic Development and Enterprise, said, “Tamworth’s events programme not only generates more than £1 million every year for the local economy but also attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors from Tamworth and further afield.
“This year’s programme is set to be even bigger and better and there is something for everyone to enjoy.”
Click here for more on Tamworth’s Year of Events or contact Tamworth Information Centre on 01827 709 581.