Work to extend Wigginton Road cemetery, a project which will eventually provide enough burial space for the next 50 years, is to begin on Monday October 7.
The first phase of works will mean that the 1.7 hectare area of the cemetery currently undeveloped will be fenced off, to allow the building of new roads, footpaths and drainage necessary for the new cemetery extension. Access to the rest of the cemetery will be unaffected by the works and no graves will be disturbed by the works, which are expected to take around 12 weeks to complete.
The works will begin at 7.30 every morning and will finish at 5pm. Tamworth Borough Council has consulted with funeral directors and works will be suspended during funerals.
Cllr Stephen Doyle, Cabinet member for Environment & Waste Management, said, “National news headlines last week said that councils were running out of burial space and could be facing major shortages in just a few years. Here in Tamworth, we are beginning work which will provide burial plots for the next 50 years.
“We are doing all we can to minimise the disruption caused by the works at Wigginton Cemetery. No works will be carried out during funerals, and access to all graves in the cemetery will be maintained at all times.
“We are aware that this is a sensitive issue and would ask cemetery visitors to bear with us until while these vital works are being carried out.”
The additional land at Wigginton Cemetery was purchased by the Council in 1937, to ensure burial space would continue to be available. In February 2011, approval was given to use the land for an additional 350 burial plots, which will secure burial space at the cemetery for another 50 years.